To manage the development of internal and external communication corporate content, and promote regular, open dialogue so that staff and media consistently understand Woolworths and Woolworths Holdings Limited key corporate messages, the brand and relevant business objectives
- Ability to write communications, emails, speeches, press releases, new reports and responses to media queries
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and manage stress well
- Demonstrate flexibility and commitment to working long hours in crisis situations
- Planning and organizational skills
- Keep abreast of current internal communications trends ensuring that fresh, innovative ideas are tabled that represent the needs of the millennial audience
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Relationship building skills – ability to form and nurture relationships at all levels of the organization and with external stakeholders
- High attention to detail
- Team Player
- Sound judgment and discretion ability
- Degree or diploma in communication/media/journalism
- Up to 5 years’ experience in a corporate communications environment (preferably in a listed company)
- Crisis management experience
- A strong interest in the media and a good knowledge of press contacts
- Knowledge of competitors and local retail market
Key corporate messages effectively communicated to the media
- To assist in promoting, enhancing and protecting Woolworths corporate reputation.
- Ensure that all external communication messaging is consistent, timorous, relevant and aligned to the Woolworths brand and delivers ROI.
- Build and manage excellent relationships with key internal stakeholders and media to ensure effective delivery of messages.
- Assist to develop the communication approach and plan to manage media crisis.
Key corporate messages effectively communicated to employees
- Implement communications to staff that support Woolworths Holdings Group strategy and values.
- Ensure that all internal communication messaging is consistent, timeous and aligned to the Woolworths brand.
- Understand the internal communication channels, their respective purpose and effectiveness, and ensure that key messages are delivered through appropriate channels.
- Identify and implement fresh and innovative ways of communicating to the business, that represents the voice of the millennial while still answering the requirements of the rest of the business
- Support EXCO communications to ensure consistency in delivery of strategic messaging to staff
- Partner with HR stakeholders on special events and initiatives e.g. CEO Awards
- Assist in communicating key business updates accurately and timeously using the appropriate communication channels e.g. Shop Talk etc.
Quality external communication produced
- Provide input into the corporate communications strategy and implementation plan and manage the implementation of the plan
- Manage and respond to all Woolworths incoming media enquiries
- Manage spokesperson interviews and develop key messaging
- Proactively communicate key corporate announcements including sustainability focuses (GBJ) e.g. International/Africa expansion; GBJ programme; enterprise development etc.
- Co-ordinate and manage press briefings for Annual and Interim financial results
- Co-ordinate and manage: media days, roundtables, site visits
- Track retail news and media coverage provide relevant intelligence to the business.
- Co-ordinate and manage spokesperson training. Also provide input into training material for media and crisis communication sensitization training
- Support the review of the agency’s communications deliverables (media plans, press releases, coverage reports etc)
Quality internal communication
- Continue to implement communication plan around EXCO engagement including supporting in the delivery of EXCO Chats, Breakfasts with EXCO and Woolies Talks.
- Assist in the accurate production of all internal communication
- Assist in the production of a quality employee magazine (i.e. Shop Talk) four times per year.
- Partner with the in-house agency in delivery innovative internal campaigns that profile WW as a fresh and vibrant employer brand
- Assist the Good Business Journey (GBJ) and Corporate Social Investment (CSI) teams to implement an internal GBJ communication plan. E.g. Mandela Day, quarterly Good Business Journal etc.
- Timeously communicate key GBJ stories/milestones/announcements and events.
- Explore and recommend innovative communication mechanisms and channels to represent the changing communication environment and resonates with a younger, more technologically savvy audience
Photography library updated and maintained
- Brief and manage shoots for press communication/media releases.
- Review and approve/decline requests from external parties for photography shoots in store