RDP HOUSING (Register on the housing needs register)

Qualifying residents can register on the City’s Housing Needs Register (previously known as the Housing Database) to be considered for a variety of housing opportunities.

Our facilities may close at short notice due to COVID-19 exposure. Stay up to date with affected services at www.capetown.gov.za/Coronavirus, or our Service Notifications Guide. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

South African residents who live in Cape Town may be able to access housing opportunities. Once you register and apply, we can advise you on the options that suit your needs.

The City considers housing opportunities on a first-come, first-served basis, and takes age and special needs into consideration.

The housing opportunities include:

  • City-owned rental accommodation
  • Social housing
  • State-subsidised Breaking New Ground houses

Beneficiaries of all City housing projects are allocated in accordance with our Allocation Policy: Housing Opportunities and the Housing Needs Register. This ensures that housing opportunities are provided in a fair, transparent and equitable manner.

Qualifying criteria

To qualify to be placed on the Housing Needs Register, you must:

  • be a South African citizen or permanent resident;
  • be legally competent to enter into a contract;
  • be married or cohabiting, or have dependents (does not apply to applicants over the age of 60 or who have disabilities);
  • be over the age of 18;
  • have a combined income of less than R3 500 per month to qualifty for State-assisted housing;
  • never have owned a property;
  • never have benefitted from a government housing subsidy before.

How to register

You can register:

You will need to submit:

  • a certified copy of your ID and spouse’s ID, if applicable;
  • a completed Housing Assistance Form (in the document download section below)
  • certified copies of your children’s birth certificates, if applicable;
  • certified copies of marriage or divorce certificates;
  • details of special needs within the household, and supporting documents such as medical records;
  • proof of address.

Check your status

If you have registered on our Housing Needs Register, be sure to check your personal details and contact details and update when necessary.

You can check your status via the following: